Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Insight #2: There's no need to get irritated by the lady who always sneezes 7 times

The lady who always sneezed 7 times. Unbelievably uninhibited burping. Coughing. Farting. Snoring. Sighing.

At first, during the first 30 hours of meditation or so, all these things caused a strong physical reaction which was promptly followed by annoyance. The annoyance, in turn, was followed by thoughts alone the lines of "Damn it! Who does that in a situation like this - or anywhere, for that matter?", "That is so inconsiderate! Can't she just go out to sneeze?" or "Omg, here he goes again! No self-discipline! We're all tired, but he's the only one who snores like a freaking truck!" ...and these thoughts were not quite what I wanted to have my mind engaged in during the meditation session.

However, following the Vipassana principle of objectively observing the sensations without attaching emotions to them started to work after a while. I noticed that the physical sensation wasn't automatically linked to getting annoyed any more. I observed the sensation and let it pass away. And since I wasn't reacting to the physical sensation, I never experienced the negative emotions. It was so simple. Yet unbelievable. I learned to be less irritable in less than 10 days. I guess it wasn't about them at all. It was all about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment